Friday, November 10, 2006

Eating My Words...

I believe in karma, good and well, not-so-good. I was interviewed today by a reporter in Austin, Texas on running through the winter. We had a great chat about tips and tools runners can use to train through the challenging winter days. At one point she asked about what to do about the cold days, "because down here it gets can be 40-45 and rainy - hypothermia weather". I answered her with a few tips and then told her that in Chicago, that would be a warm welcome. After all, we train on single degree days and below zero wind chills.

Well, not 30 minutes later I headed out the door to do my long run along the Chicago Lakefront path. About 3 miles into a 10 miler, the wind picked up (25-30 mph), it started pouring rain and guess what, it was 40 degrees! I was chilled to the bone and all I kept thinking was I wish I had that reporters number to tell her about how much I suffered. I am sure she would get a kick out of it especially because I made light of that weather.

To be honest, a run in 35-40 degrees and rain is far worse than running in 15-25 degrees and dry or even snow. It chills you to the bone. As they say "be careful what you wish for" as I was handed a full dose of humble pie today.

It was a good reminder of what is ahead this winter. I tip my hat to all the runners in Austin, Texas.

Happy Trails,

Coach Jenny

No comments: