Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Post Race Recovery

I find post race recovery a bit challenging. In most cases, you are coming off a high from the race and want to keep going. Your body reminds you the day after just how hard you ran on race day. I encourage runners to take the week after a half or full marathon off running all together and do light cross-training. It helps speed the healing process by giving your muscles, tendons and joints a break from the impact of running and allows your mind to defrag after the long structured training season.

So, here I am at day four of my post race recovery and already I want to go for a run. I take that as a good sign that the recovery is going well physically and mentally. Until then I am cycling, strength training and focusing on flexibility.

Happy Trails,

Coach Jenny

No comments: