Monday, September 11, 2006

A Girl's Best Friend



Saturday we had one last walk with BEAR, our 16-year old dog. Bear was an 8-pound black poodle-shitzu mix and loved to run and fetch. He earned his name because his spirit was as big as a Bear.



He had a great life and was my best buddy. He studied with me in college, rode in my backpack and cheered on runners, and even beat a greyhound dog in the local Bark in the Park 5K. He was even assistant Crew with John when I raced a 24-hour solo adventure race in the UP. He put in a lot of miles with a lot of friends and will be missed greatly.



I plan on hosting a Hike in Bear's memory in the fall. He use to be the herding dog for my Hike Like a Girl clinics and would always make sure everyone front to back of the pack was safe.

The timing on this couldn't have been any worse, but I believe my father is going for daily walks with Bear somewhere over the rainbow.

As for me, my running life has been on hold for awhile and been in what I refer to as "maintenance" mode. I feel a challenge coming on soon. I am not sure what that means, but I will keep you posted.

Happy Trails,

Coach Jenny

9 comments:

PenneArdICS said...

Hi Jenny,

It's been a while since we've corresponded, but I saw that you & John will be in Toronto for the marathon this month and surfed over to see what's happening. I see you've had a rough time the past few weeks, saying goodbye to your dad and your best friend, too. {{{Cyberhugs}}}

You may recall that I wrote to you a couple of years ago about my daughter, Nike, wanting to fly solo in her training, and you offered some safety tips for women on the road. Nike's been putting that advice to good use while familiarizing herself with the Toronto terrain and art scene this past year. She'll be taking on the 5K in a couple of weeks and cheering her dad on to the marathon finish at the Waterfront.

Wish I could be there to give you a hug in person -- this will be the first time I've missed one of Chuck's marathons in all our years of marriage, believe it or not. We took the family up to Toronto last year to help Nike get settled in, so it will be a father/daughter gig this time around. I hope this trip will bring a little joy to your life in the midst of sad times at home.

Take care, Amiga (best to John, too) ~
Penne & the Crew

PenneArdICS said...

P.S. I just noticed that you'll be joining us at WDW in January. I believe Nike was training to run the half there when I first dropped you a line many moons ago. She had a blast and a half at that race! Chuck will be running the marathon this time, so we'll definitely see you there!! HAND-pda

Anonymous said...

good site

Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

nice site

Anonymous said...

best site

Anonymous said...

nice site

Anonymous said...

good site

Anonymous said...

best site