Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Preventing the Holiday Five

They say the average American gains five to seven pounds during the holidays. That is not hard to do these days. All it takes is inactivity and overindulgence and boom, your gift from Santa is a larger pair of pants.

I have a strategy for the holidays, especially this year. I have been creeping up a few pounds more than I want to be and whenever that happens I use Fitday.com. It is a free online software program that allows me to keep my calories in balance just like a checkbook. I enter in what I eat during the day, I add my running, cross-training and strength workouts and it gives me a runnig balance of what is going in versus out. I know if I am spending too much (eating too many calories), too much fat, or not enough nutrients. It is the best way for me to get back into reality. Plus, it gives me a breakdown of percentages of carbohydrates, proteins and fat. This is great for a runner!

These days it is so easy to over eat, or over spend as I like to say. Portions are out of control and as a society we have to move less and less each year. Keeping tabs on my "In and Out" inventory keeps me honest. I am back to my fighting weight again and more aware of my choices. In most cases, I begin to gain weight when I am not paying attention to what I am eating. One cookie becomes two, one serving doubles and my one sweet per week rule somehow changes to sweets every other day. Using Fitday.com allows me to get focused and back on track. It typically takes 2-3 weeks and I am back to reality again.

There are a lot of online fuel logs, but I happen to like this one. It is easy to use and free! What is better than that?

Happy Trails,

Coach Jenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coach Jenny,

First time that I comment on your blog, but let me say I am also a BIG fan of FitDay.

I have mine customized a lot and it is an amazing tool. One thing I found is that (at least for me) it is a little conservative on the calorie burn part. But that means a nice surprise when I climb on the scale every Wednesday night.

Like I told a friend of mine who was not sure on using FitDay. "It will be as good as the efforts you are willing to put into it!".

I am a strong believer in the fact that we need to put as much effort and planning in the "fueling" part of our lifestyle as we do on the "training" part. FitDay is as important for that than my Forerunner for my running.

Cheers!

BryanK
http://bryankblog.vwss.ca/