Monday, August 27, 2007

The Big Miles

This time of year for long distance runners is what I can the Big Weeks. The Big Weeks are when our running mileage is at is longest and where the training is at its peak. And sometimes it is when I get a little cramby [or my family would say "crabbier than normal].

I ran a long trail run Thursday on a local trail. All in all it went well although it was very warm and humid. My body is acclimated to the heat, but I just can't keep up with the hydration on days like this. I finished looking like a wet dog.

I have a theory about long runs...there is always one and sometime two of the super long runs that are really challenging. My theory is that it happens to make sure we don't get too cocky about our training. A humble pie run has a way with making you respect the distance and prepare fully for race day. Ultimately, it is a good thing. It keeps me from dancing on tables the night before the race.

Happy Trails,

Jenny

No comments: