Friday, May 30, 2008

Better-Than-Nothing Runs

Tis the season...this is the time of year when my time for running is at it's least and work hours are the greatest. I love what I do and do what I love so there is no need to feel sorry for me:) I've found the best way to get through these times is to launch a sequence of "better than nothing runs" that keep up my running fitness and motivational momentum until I have a little more time on my hands.

The BTN runs always start with 5 minutes of walking to warm up properly and conclude with 5 minutes of walking to cool down. Then it is a progressive ladder of faster running intervals for 30 minutes. For example, run 4 minutes at 9:30 pace, walk 1 minute to recover, 9:15 for 4 minutes...9:00...8:45 and so on. It is a short but sweet workout that kicks my butt and I get more value for my time. I run this workout 3 times per week and one more 45 minute run to top it off. I couldn't do this as frequently when my mileage is up higher because it would be too much and my body would not recover run to run. But because I am running every other day for shorter periods of time, it works.

Looking forward to things calming down in the next few weeks and getting back to my normal summer program with trail runs, mt. biking and long runs. Can't wait...

Special Note:
Girls On The Run is an organization that teaches middle school age girls how to respect themselves, proper sportsmanship & how to live a healthy lifestyle. It's a fabulous program and now one of their girls is up for an award!

Chicagoan Nichyria Byrd, an 11 year-old participant in Girls on the Run, has been nominated for ESPN's first-ever "Youth Achievement Award" as part of the 2008 ESPYs.

Nichyria, a 5th grader at Ariel Community Academy, is one of only five nominees from across the country, and the only from the Midwest. Her nomination reflects not just her own leadership on and off the course, but also celebrates the achievement of every Girls on the Run participant.

The winner will be selected based on online voting through June 15th, so we're asking everyone to vote for Nichyria today, and forward this e-mail to your friends, family and co-workers as well.

Click here to vote for Nichyria today!

Happy Trails,

Jenny

No comments: